Tuesday, March 1, 2011

FOOT - Pleasure Texts: Good & Bad

     The other night, my boyfriend and I decided to watch a movie, and we picked "New York I Love You". We were excited because it has an all star cast, including Rachel Bilson, whom I adore. Also, it features about a dozen different love stories involving the city and the people in it. Each story is directed by a different director, which my boyfriend was excited for because he has a film degree and loves all things film-related. Unfortunately, the stories were very very bizarre and we did not enjoy it very much. Seeing the different lighting, sound and editing choices that all of the different directors chose was really interesting though. I have noticed that I am much more inclined to pay attention to these small details than I was before. 

     Speaking of film, over spring break my friend Ryan is shooting a film-short in hopes of getting into film school at my house. My boyfriend is helping him, and I am pretty excited to see all of it happen. The story is about an insomniac who accidentally kills his girlfriend, and she starts haunting his dreams, so he never sleeps. Due to the insomnia, he still sees her because the lack of sleep is making me mad. I am pretty excited to help work on this, and maybe in my readings of "Great Films and How to Teach Them" I will learn a few things! I'll be sure to post some of the work we did, maybe as a video, if he is able to get part of it online for me.


     Another I guess you could call 'pleasure text' I have been reading is actually called The Dog Cancer Survival Guide by Dr. Demain Dressler, DVM. My pug, Polly, was recently (Valentine's day) diagnosed with mast cell tumors, and she has been going through chemotherapy for it. We actually went for her second treatment today, and her main tumor's swelling has decreased by fifty-percent! The vet said she is pleased with how Polly is doing so far in the treatment, which is great news. The book has taught me how to cook homemade dog food with cancer-fighting foods in it, what supplements to give her, how massage can help, and even how to meditate with her! The book has been helpful for me in the rough time, but we are hopeful for her! It was for my Kindle, and it updates automatically anytime new information in found. If you know anybody going through anything like this I would highly recommend the book for them.

UPDATE 3/4: Polly is doing well! After her chemo appointment on Tuesday, they said her main tumor has decreased fifty-percent in size! And the doctor is really pleased with how she is doing so far :)

1 comment: