Sunday, February 27, 2011

PYTASH - Jago, Chapter 3

After reading the third chapter of Jago's text, I really wanted to dig out some classics and start reading them. I also am hopeful to have a choice in what classics I get to teach, too. I know it varies drastically on what school you are at, but I am hopeful to have some say in what I teach. I really liked the idea of 'Keeping Track of Reading' with the sheet that Jago included. I wish that I would have had one of those in middle and high school. I remember some novels or pieces that I have read, but forget many of them. If I would have had that sheet I think I would have remembered more. Also, I think that if we all had done that, westray to  could look back at the sheet and see how much we were reading as well. Something else I liked about this chapter was the part when Jago was talking about the reading lists she gave her students to read. It reminded me of our class last semester, and how we were able to have some say in what we were reading, but we had a few choices. This way, you are not letting students go completely astray to choose a novel, but still not making them read something maybe they are not interested in at all. I know that when we got our lists last semester, I went online and looked up the synopsis of all of the books and chose from there. I could see some books that made me say "Oh god no" and others that made me say "Oooh, I like this one!". I plan to implement both a reading list and a sheet to keep track of reading when I teach, because I think it would be great for the students. 
-Katie May

5 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more Katie. I think if teachers used any of the methods we have learned and talked about would be useful, but the reading list seems to be the most successful with getting people excited to read. The lists really allow everyone to find something they like to read and topics they care about. When people care about something they are more likely to involve themselves in it and put effort into things that involve it. This is the effort that every teacher hopes to see their students put forth so there is a better learning experience. Also with the sheet, if a student can see they have made progress then they are more likely to see what they have done as positive and as an accomplishment not as a chore. This also gets them more excited about reading. I teachers can show students they have accomplished something many students will motivated to do more

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also loved the keeping track of reading worksheet! I feel like it would be so helpful for students to see that they have accomplished a lot over a school year. I really liked the reading lists too. It gave some choice but gave structure to the assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was in sixth grade, my mother and I kept track of every book we read and it became a contest. At the end of the year, I had beaten my mother, and I was so excited! Rosey- in your comment you mentioned how it's nice to look back and see what you accomplished, and it was! I loved being able to take that piece of paper and say, "Look how much I read!"

    Katie May- you bring up a good point in seeing HOW much we were reading too. I think it'd be cool to look back and see how much school AND pleasure reading I was doing, and kind of match it up with what was going on in my life, who I was hanging out with, and what I was reading. When I went through my gothic stage, I know I was reading a ton of vampire novels, but I wonder what other reading stages I went through.

    I'm sure that by looking back in my history of reading, I could say, "Oh boy...I was in a trashy romance novel stage" or "Oh wow...I was in a re-read all of the Harry Potters stage!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Sarah that the reading guides are a great way to see what they have accomplished over the year. My only fear is that this is a TON of reading for one year. I'd be afraid students would get behind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like giving students a choice because I think it gives them motivation to read. I also like keeping a list for students because it shows them how much work they have done and how much they have accomplished!

    ReplyDelete