Tuesday, January 25, 2011

FOOT - Little Brother Response

I have been reading "Little Brother" by Cory Doctorow, and so far I am quite interested in the text. Some parts are a little hard to believe, such as the vast security at the high school, as well as the horrible brutality that the Department of Homeland Security uses on the students. I do not have much knowledge on how the DHS works, but I can not imagine them being able to treat minors like that justifiably. I suppose since they thought the students were terrorists, but I still find it hard to believe.
On the other hand, I really like how well Doctorow can create suspense. The ride in the 'nondescript eighteen-wheeler' was very intense, and I was scared for Marcus' well being. The text is very interesting and I am excited to read more, but I am having trouble finding out how I could incorporate it into a lesson. I suppose that so far the book seems like a pleasure-read for students, but perhaps I will think of some ideas as I progress in my reading.

1 comment:

  1. I think the fact that the DHS was treating minors so brutally without even informing the parents of their children's whereabouts just illustrates the fact that the government was out of control and totally abusing their power and violating the Bill of Rights. I think some great topics for lesson plans could tie in the abuses of power in the book with the Patriot Act and the way it took away citizen's basic rights following 911. You could also create a lesson about the importance of a free press since the media was highly censored in the book as well.

    ReplyDelete