Thursday, September 16, 2010

Chapter Six: Frontloading Meaning

     This chapter is primarily about pre-reading learning strategies, and it gives us several great examples of strategies we can use in a classroom. The K-W-L chart seemed great for younger kids, but I think that the Anticipation Guide would be a great pre-reading activity to do with older students. I absolutely loved the way Mr. Davidson prepared his students for Anne Frank. He really got them thinking deeply on the subject before they even knew what they were reading.
     Something else I enjoyed was the Probable Passage. I think that is a great way to have students work in groups, kind of predict the text, but more importantly they are able to recognize words that are in the text. I just think that they will truly want to read it to see if their prediction came true, and although it probably won't, I think it's neat that they will want to read it anyways. 
     I can most definitely see myself teaching with some of these ideas in my future classroom, and I really will be keeping this book to help me. -Katie May

1 comment:

  1. I also found the anticipation guide to be a very interesting strategy to help readers with their texts. I think it is a good way to help people become active in their reading. It encourages students to become critical thinkers; even when the questions have simple yes or no responses. It also is a good device to help people see what they think before the reading, and how they feel about that same idea afterwards. I could definitly see myself using this concept in my future classrooms.

    ReplyDelete