Wednesday, March 23, 2011

FOOT - I ♥ Novels

     While reading Dana Goodyear's article I ♥ Novels, I could not help but be inspired. I really thought that this was neat, and it would be something I would honestly consider doing. I love the idea of being able to write whenever you feel inspired, and being able to share your ideas with others online who can give you feedback. I always planned on writing a novel one day, and maybe even just posting some excerpts online for my peers to view would be helpful for me to see if I have a good idea and if I execute it well or not. I currently use the 'Notepad' on my iPhone right now for everything. It looks like a little legal pad of paper, and I use it to keep track of bills, make note of songs I want to download, and even write down little inspirations or ideas that I have throughout the day. So, in a sense, I was kind of gearing up to use a website like the one listed in the article. I suppose I just did not know they existed.


     I think that my favorite part of the article was when I read that the texts would go unedited. I love the idea of not making your expressions perfect, because they're not. Trust me, I go crazy with spelling and grammatical errors anywhere else besides in forms of expression or creative release. I guess what I am saying is that I think the idea of leaving them as they were is really inspiring. Instead of taking these ideas and turning them into a perfect piece of literature, they are left unedited and unaltered. 

     As much as I enjoyed this article, there were two flaws for me. The first was the amount of criticism that these girls and the websites received. I thought it was just ignorant when the site was being reviewed and people were saying that the girls' names sounded like the name of a dog. People need to realize that nobody is hurting anybody when they write literature online. Second, I wish that men were included in this more. Overall, I really enjoyed this article and had never heard anything like it before.

3 comments:

  1. When reading this article I never thought about the benefit you mentioned in your first paragraph about being able to write whenever you're inspired. I hate it when something comes to me and don't have a way to jot it down--especially when it's something I want to write about. (Having an iPhone has really helped with that lol) But the fact that they can be anywhere and write their story is amazing.
    I also liked that the stories went up unedited.... to some extent. I think that if the story is too full of grammatical errors and is hard to read, that could be detrimental to the writer because readers could be turned off of their story. I know that if I am reading fiction written online, if it's too unedited I can't read it. It may be because I'm going to be an English teacher, but it just bothers me :)
    I also was annoyed by the insulting comments made by some of the people interviewed in the article. My view on things like this is if you like it then read it. Certain texts are not for everyone, but that does not make them stupid. I learned this first hand. I always joked around with my husband about watching anime and reading manga, but now I do both of those things as well. Everyone likes their own thing and if you don't like it you shouldn't insult them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also don't like that these girls were treated poorly. Even the authors themselves didn't think their writing was literature. One even said she regrets everything she ever wrote. I feel bad for these girls. They should feel good for having written anything at all. I understand that these girls come from a very different culture than we do but I still wish they felt better about their writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This idea also intrigued me. I never thought of writing a story using my phone and posting it on the internet. I also thought it was weird how it was mostly women doing this. It will be interesting to see how this progresses as technology does.

    ReplyDelete