Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Chapter Nine: Vocabulary

This chapter focuses on the use of vocabulary and how we can teach new words to students. It shows us how to make these words stick, and how to make students forget them. I loved the 'Vocabulary Casserole' and the 'Vocabulary Treat' recipes on the first few pages. They were very true, and it was nice to see how if you make the students apply and actually use the words, they will remember them, versus just regurgitate them in the text. 
I really liked the Word Scroll worksheet that Beers has provided for us. It not only shows the definition, but also has students fill in both synonyms and antonyms for the words as well. I think that this is a great way to help them learn. It they know what it is, what it isn't, and what it is like, they can easily use it in future writing and reading. I know that instead of repeatedly typing the same word in an essay, I really enjoy using synonyms to convey my message. I think this is important for students to know too because then they will not be using the same word over and over again. Not only could this exercise help spice up their writing, it will also improve their reading. I really think that vocabulary is important, and I feel that students do not learn as much of it in high school as they did in middle school. I think that if we continue to give students an arsenal of new words to use, their speech, conversation skills, reading and writing will improve.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that there is a lack of vocabulary being taught in schools today. It is important for students to learn, without the use of Microsoft word to figure it out for them. Vocabulary is extremely important to who we are and of our everyday speech. I also agree it is important to always be implementing them in the classroom in order for our students to seem distinguished. It was also nice to see the concepts of Vocabulary Casserole and Vocabulary treat. I had never heard of these techniques like this before it was great to learn two new vocabulary techniques.

    ReplyDelete